3 September 2015

Useful Expressions for Group Discussion

Group Discussion: Useful Expressions
 
Useful Expressions for Group Discussion

 Introducing the topic
  • Today we are here to discuss ....
  • The goal of our discussion today is .....
  • Topic for the discussion is ....
  • The topic given to discuss is .....


Stating your own opinion

-       In my opinion, …
-       Personally I think that ...
-       My own view of the matter/issue is that ...
-       It seems to me that ...
-       In my opinion/view ....
-       If you ask me ....
-       As far as I can see/I’m concerned ....
-       It seems to me that ....
-       I have the/a feeling that ....
-       I think/feel/reckon/believe ....
-       Well, I’d say ....
-       If you want my opinion ....
-       You can take it from me that ....
-       First of all/To start with I’d like to point out ...
-       What we have to decide is ....
-       There can be no doubt that ....
-       It’s a fact that ....
-       Nobody will deny that ....
-       The way/As I see it Everyone knows ....
-       Let me put it this/another way ....
-       Let’s get this clear (first) ....
-       Sorry to interrupt you, but ....
-       The point I’m trying to make is ....
-       Personally (speaking) I think ....
-       I’m absolutely convinced that ....
-       My view/point of view is that ....
-       The way I look at/see it is this What I actually meant was ....

Asking about or for an opinion

-       Could you tell me ....?
-       What do you think about/of ....?
-       What’s your opinion about ...?
-       Do you think/feel ....?
-       How do you feel about ....?
-       May I ask you ....?

Asking for an explanation

-       Could you explain to me ....?
-       Could someone please tell me ....?
-       Just tell me the reason why ....?
-       I don’t really understand ....?
-       I just don’t see why/what/how ....
-       Are you saying that ....?
-       What do you mean by that?
-       I beg your pardon?
-       I didn’t quite get that.
-       Excuse me, did you say that ....?

 Agreeing with an opinion

ü  Yes, I agree (absolutely).
ü  I couldn't agree more to what you just said.
ü  That matches exactly my own view.
ü  Yes, that is just how I see it.
ü  I absolutely hold the same view.
ü  We both share the same point of view.
ü  I (quite) agree.
ü  I agree completely/entirely.
ü  I couldn’t agree (with you) more.
ü  I entirely/completely agree with you on that.
ü  That’s true/right.
ü  That’s just it.
ü  Quite/Exactly/Precisely/Right/Certainly/Definitely.
ü  You’re quite/so right.
ü  I think so, too.
ü  I don’t think so either.
ü  That’s just my feeling/opinion.
ü  That’s just how I see it/feel about it, too.
ü  That’s a very good/important point.
ü  You’ve got a good point there.
ü  Yes, of course/definitely/absolutely
ü  Marvelous. That’s exactly what I mean/say.
ü  Yes, that’s obvious.
ü  That’s exactly how I see it.
ü  That’s what I think How very true.
ü  So do I/So am I Yes, indeed.
ü  I’m all in favor of what you’ve been saying.
  
Partly agreeing with an opinion

- I see what you mean, but ...
- There is certainly some truth in your words, but you fail to notice that ...
- I don't entirely agree with you.
- I understand your reasons; however, I see some aspects a bit differently.

Disagreeing with an opinion

- I'm afraid I can't accept ...
- I simply don't agree with you.
- I fail to see the logic behind any of your arguments.
- Your arguments are not convincing at all!
- Excuse me, but I have to contradict you quite strongly here.
- I couldn't disagree more with what you just said.

Interrupting

- I'm sorry to interrupt here, but ...
- Excuse for breaking in here right now, but ...
- Can I stop you there for a moment?
- Hold on a second. (informal)
- Pardon me, but I think this just leads the debate astray.

Focusing/Structuring

- I think we should focus on the main aspects now.
- Let's now consider another important aspect of today's debate.
- I think we have exchanged our opinions on that point now and should move on ...
- You all highlighted crucial aspects, but have we really discussed ... in-depth?
- Thank you for your honest/thought-provoking views, but we should also pay attention to ...

  Some other useful phrases for group discussions

  1. Giving an explanation
-       Look, it’s like this: What I mean is ....
-       The reason for this is ....
-       The main problem is ....
-       Just let me explain ....
-       Well, the reason is ....
-       Well, the thing is ....
-       Above all we must keep in mind that
  1. Qualified agreement
-       Yes, perhaps, but ....
-       Yes, possibly, although ....
-       Yes, but on the other hand ....
-       Yes, up to a point.
-       I agree up to a certain point, but ....
-       Yes, in a way.
-       Maybe, I suppose so.
-       Well, it depends.
-       I don’t think it’s as simple as that .....
-       I see what you mean, but I think that’s not the whole story
-       You may be right there.
-       Yes, but there’s also another aspect to consider
  1. Polite disagreement
-       I disagree (with you),
-       I’m afraid. No, I really can’t agree, I’m afraid.
-       I don’t quite agree there.
-       I’m not so certain/at all sure if that’s true/correct
-       I’m not (quite) so sure (really).
-       I’m sorry I can’t agree.
-       Do you really think so/believe that?
-       I’m not convinced that ....
-       Well, that’s one way of looking at it, (but)
-       Well, I have my doubts about that
-       You can’t really mean that.
-       You don’t really mean that, do you?
-       I wouldn’t say so.
-       I don’t think so.
-       I don’t think you’re right/that’s right.
-       Surely you don’t mean that?
-       I don’t want to argue with you, but ....
-       I can’t go all the way with you on that point.
-       Are you seriously suggesting that ...?
-       I have my problems with what you’re saying
  1. Strong disagreement
-       I doubt that very much
-       I think you got that wrong
-       You’re pulling my leg!
-       On the contrary! That doesn’t convince me at all.
-       You’re contradicting yourself.
-       I’ve never heard of such a thing.
-       You’re wrong, you know.
-       You can’t be serious! It’s not like that at all!
-       That’s not correct
-       You’re contradicting yourself
-       You don’t understand.
-       I’m afraid, I don’t think you quite understand.
-       I don’t think so, really! That’s not fair!
-       That’s out of the question I can’t believe that
-       I’m afraid I can’t accept your view, that ....
-       Do you really think that’s a good idea?
-       I’m afraid, I can’t agree with you there
-       Well, you would, wouldn’t you? Really?
-       Don’t be silly/stupid!
-       How stupid can you get?
-       What a silly/stupid thing to say!
-       That’s (simply) not true!
-       I don’t think, you can say ....
-       Surely you’re not serious, are you?
-       I doubt it/that very much
-       You can’t be serious!
-       Oh, come on, think about what you’ve just said!
-       I doubt if ...
-       I’ve got my doubts about that.
-       I don’t agree with you at all.
-       I disagree entirely/completely.
-       Oh, come on, you must be joking/kidding!
-       That’s out of the question
-       That’s not how I see it
-       It’s not as simple as that!
-       That’s no excuse I believe you’re mistaken
-       That doesn’t make sense to me
-       Let’s be sensible about this
-       You’re hopeless/wrong
-       You won’t listen to reason
-       I think you got that wrong
-       I’m not impressed For heaven’s sake!
-       Well that’s one way of looking at it, but
  1. Making a complaint
-       I can’t quite understand how/why
-       I’ve come to complain about ...
-       I’m disappointed with I’m fed up with ....
-       It really is terrible/ridiculous that
-       I’m sorry I have to say this, but ....
-       Forgive me for mentioning it, but ....
-       That’s what I want to know.
-       Do you realize that ....?
-       Are you aware that ....?
-       I’m disappointed to hear that.
-       What are you going to do about it?
-       Something ought to be done about it.
-       Look, I really must protest about ....
-       Can’t something be done to/about ....
6. Reacting to a complaint
-       I’m (awfully) sorry to hear that
-       Î really must apologize for this.
-       Well, there’s nothing we can do about that,
-       I’m afraid This isn’t my/our fault, you know.
-       What do you expect us/me to do?
-       I’ll find out what has happened
-       I’m sorry you should take it that way.

-       I'll see what I can do.

No comments:

sh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...